Skip to main content

Learning to Fly Solo

The Health Advocacy Clinic offers a new experience every day. I’ve been working with a client since I’ve been at the clinic. I was there for the initial interview. I’ve requested medical records on the client’s behalf. I’ve charted most of the client’s medical records. I’ve even had the client stop in a few times to sign releases or answer a few questions. However, all of these experiences have been shared with the clinic’s legal team. Even though I’ve been a student in the clinic for a while, I had yet to meet with a client on my own. The clinic is set up so we students don’t typically see clients solo, but given the busy nature of the clinic on one particular Friday, I met with client by myself.

Going back to my second day at the clinic, and prior to meeting this client for first time, I had been told generally how this client handles meetings, along with some specific anecdotes. The tales weren’t the greatest. Being my second day, I was curious as to how the intake interview would go. As I was frantically scribbling notes while the HAC director conducted the interview, I was feeling more pressure to write down as much as I could instead of worrying about how the client would react. Some questions were asked that brought out certain emotions from the client. When a question made the client become sad, I didn’t think about it as it unfolded. The interview progressed smoothly. I didn’t have to think about any preconceived notions I had of the client. As far as gaining practical experience at the clinic, this interview was all I wanted because it gave me a chance to be a part of interviewing a real-life client with a real-life legal problem, an experience not gained through typical law school courses.

Fast forwarding through my time at the HAC, I had met with the client sporadically for the aforementioned reasons: signing releases, asking questions, etc. None of these subsequent meetings took longer than ten minutes (and the one that was ten minutes was only because I couldn’t get the copier to work). When I learned I had a meeting with this client that could take multiple hours, I was worried. Even in some of these short meetings, I didn’t sense patience was the client’s most notable virtue, and that’s not to mention the tedious nature of the task in front of us (filling out paperwork).

Combining the length of the meeting with the thought of having to fly solo for the first time in a client meeting at the HAC was a little daunting. I was anxious to begin. The day of that meeting I didn’t have much time to prepare and didn’t really want to either. I just wanted to get the interview started. And so, we did. It went well. No problems arose during the two-and-a-half-hour meeting. The best part of it was, though just one meeting, that it felt like what I had learned at the clinic and in law school came together. I had to: ask the forms’ questions; ask my own questions to get at the heart of what the form was asking; write the client’s answers as the client stated them; and more. It was a fantastic clinic experience. Despite my tentativeness, everything was copacetic. Even though I had known the client for a while, I was concerned that such a long meeting would wear us both out given what I had otherwise heard.

Overall, the clinic afforded me a great learning opportunity in the form of this meeting. It was just one meeting, and I’m sure it wasn’t perfect, but it was the exact type of experience I was hoping to have at the clinic. This type of practical experience is something that typical classes don’t provide, and it makes participating in a clinical experience worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did I Come to Law School Again?

I came straight to law school from undergrad. Although I’ve had part time jobs, I’ve spent most of my life in school. I was drawn to law school because in comparison to the other graduate programs I was considering, law appeared to me to be a profession of “doers.” By this I mean, a profession that does more than participate in academic research and writing; a profession that actively interacts with people from all walks of life and has the skills necessary to bring about real change in communities. I do not mean to downplay academic scholarship, which is essential to meaningful debate, particularly in the legal field, and is often a catalyst to change. But to me, as someone who has spent most of her life in a class room and spent a lot of time writing and researching, I wanted to do more—interact with people, find out what people need and want, and help bring those needs and wants to fruition. Over the last two years in law school, I did not exactly find what I came looking for. In f

The Shelter

I was nervous, but it is a nervous feeling that I have felt before. A feeling of excitement because I am about to embark upon another journey with the purpose to create change. Although I have had a lot of interaction with people in poverty, every new interaction is a learning experience. I was impressed by how vast the Hesed House facilities were; it was the biggest homeless shelter I have seen. It pushed me toward both a feeling of gratitude and sorrow. I felt grateful that facilities like Hesed House exist so that people in poverty have the ability to have a roof over their head and access to food. On the other hand, I felt sorrow because it breaks my heart that poverty has such a strong hold on so many individuals in our society. It is an uneasy feeling for me that Hesed House is the only shelter in Aurora when there is an overwhelming need in the area. However, I am glad that it can accommodate as many people as it can and that it touches the lives of so many in more ways than jus

In the Beginning there was . . . Pleasant Terror

I left the first meeting of our little group excited, inspired, and pleasantly terrified. A long-time resident and self-proclaimed advocate of Aurora, I am ashamed that this was my first visit to Hesed House. I had read about it, thought about it, and heard its praises sung countless times, but all of my ‘good’ excuses kept me from lending a hand or ever checking it out for myself. I wish I had, because I would have known sooner that Hesed House far exceeds its glowing reputation. As Mr. Dowd showed us around Hesed House and its Community Resource Center, I became more and more excited to be associated with this shelter. I was impressed by its leaders’ tireless efforts to serve the homeless population by pooling the efforts of multiple organizations, faiths, and disciplines. They do not limit themselves to supplying shelter and food, but helped to establish homeless children’s rights to attend school and set their guests up for success by providing access to job training, counseling, a