Skip to main content

Rapport v. Mission

I recently conducted my first client interview at the Health Advocacy Clinic. The client and I sat in a large open conference room along with another clinical student and my supervisor. Before the interview, I developed an outline and a strategy for conducting the interview. My goals were to establish rapport, get accurate information, and communicate to the client his next steps. I went in with a 4 page outline of relevant topics to cover and rehearsed my questions. I prepared very concise questions and I expected to get clear and concise answers. During the intake interview, I accomplished many of my goals. I established good rapport and learned about the client. But I did not get clear information regarding the client’s issue; or at least the amount of clarity that I was expecting. The interview brought some frustrations. I had specific and organized topics in my outline, but the answers I got were sporadic. In addition, the client brought in a large amount of unorganized paperwork. Trying to juggle listening to the client, looking at his paperwork, and writing things down was difficult. Another challenge was the client’s fatigue. I could have talked to the client for three hours. After about one hour he began to get tired and became more emotional about his situation. I tried to balance being sympathetic and also cutting through irrelevant stories. I was thinking about all of these different things during the interview. It caused me some confusion but overall, I think I accomplished the goals of the intake interview.

The biggest challenge in the interview was simply the amount of goals. I felt pressure to do a “good job.” But doing a good job in one area meant another area might be sacrificed. For example, this was the first time I met the client. He was hurting emotionally, and I wanted to establish trust. I wanted to really listen to the client and connect with him. I wanted to be patient and not dismiss the things he was saying even though some things were irrelevant. I wanted the client to leave feeling that we cared and could be trusted in both competency and zeal. Another goal of the intake interview was paperwork. I needed my client to fill out a large amount of intake paperwork, and I needed to sift through the large amount of paperwork that the client brought us. Most of all, I wanted to gather clear facts. These goals required concentration on my part.

I learned valuable lessons during the interview. Clients are coming to the clinic with diverse experiences. For example, some clients have had bad experiences with attorneys. I need to understand that and be prepared for emotional conversations, frustrations, and ambiguity in fact gathering. Part of interviewing with clients will also be setting good expectations for them and balancing my need to gather relevant facts against the client telling unrelated stories. I also need to practice. Building rapport and fact gathering will only come more naturally with additional experience. I’m excited to take advantage of more opportunities to interview and engage with clients.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did I Come to Law School Again?

I came straight to law school from undergrad. Although I’ve had part time jobs, I’ve spent most of my life in school. I was drawn to law school because in comparison to the other graduate programs I was considering, law appeared to me to be a profession of “doers.” By this I mean, a profession that does more than participate in academic research and writing; a profession that actively interacts with people from all walks of life and has the skills necessary to bring about real change in communities. I do not mean to downplay academic scholarship, which is essential to meaningful debate, particularly in the legal field, and is often a catalyst to change. But to me, as someone who has spent most of her life in a class room and spent a lot of time writing and researching, I wanted to do more—interact with people, find out what people need and want, and help bring those needs and wants to fruition. Over the last two years in law school, I did not exactly find what I came looking for. In f

In the Beginning there was . . . Pleasant Terror

I left the first meeting of our little group excited, inspired, and pleasantly terrified. A long-time resident and self-proclaimed advocate of Aurora, I am ashamed that this was my first visit to Hesed House. I had read about it, thought about it, and heard its praises sung countless times, but all of my ‘good’ excuses kept me from lending a hand or ever checking it out for myself. I wish I had, because I would have known sooner that Hesed House far exceeds its glowing reputation. As Mr. Dowd showed us around Hesed House and its Community Resource Center, I became more and more excited to be associated with this shelter. I was impressed by its leaders’ tireless efforts to serve the homeless population by pooling the efforts of multiple organizations, faiths, and disciplines. They do not limit themselves to supplying shelter and food, but helped to establish homeless children’s rights to attend school and set their guests up for success by providing access to job training, counseling, a

The Shelter

I was nervous, but it is a nervous feeling that I have felt before. A feeling of excitement because I am about to embark upon another journey with the purpose to create change. Although I have had a lot of interaction with people in poverty, every new interaction is a learning experience. I was impressed by how vast the Hesed House facilities were; it was the biggest homeless shelter I have seen. It pushed me toward both a feeling of gratitude and sorrow. I felt grateful that facilities like Hesed House exist so that people in poverty have the ability to have a roof over their head and access to food. On the other hand, I felt sorrow because it breaks my heart that poverty has such a strong hold on so many individuals in our society. It is an uneasy feeling for me that Hesed House is the only shelter in Aurora when there is an overwhelming need in the area. However, I am glad that it can accommodate as many people as it can and that it touches the lives of so many in more ways than jus