Skip to main content

Serving Lunch

One day Kelli, Jason, Colleen, and I volunteered to help serve lunch at Hesed House after our class period. We went into the PADS dining room around 11 a.m. Walking in, there were a bunch of guests sitting at the tables. They were watching T.V., reading, doing crossword puzzles or word searches, and talking to each other. As lunch did not start until noon, we were each given a task to complete before we started to serve. I was put in charge of making sure that Hesed House guests checked in when they came in. I would let people through the door when they knocked, ask them if they had checked in already, and if not, confirm their ID. After that Colleen and I went to hand out mail. People would show us their identification card, and we would look to see if they received any mail. Before it was time for lunch, we introduced ourselves and told everyone about the Health Advocacy Clinic and the types of cases we handle. Some people came up to us to ask us specific questions about the types of cases we represent or tell us that they had a legal problem and would be coming to see us. It was then time for lunch. We each served food to the people after a Hesed House staff member said a prayer.

Before this experience, I was a little nervous about going. I thought I did not know how to relate to someone who lived at a homeless shelter. I feel really privileged compared to people experiencing homelessness so part of me thought that they would not want to accept help from someone who could not relate to their experiences. However, during the whole experience I kept thinking how all of the individuals sitting in the dining room reminded me of people waiting in a train station or airport. At a train station you see a bunch of different people just sitting or standing and waiting: waiting for their train to arrive and waiting for their next destination. During this experience, I saw similarities. There were a bunch of different people sitting around waiting: waiting for lunch, waiting for their circumstances to change, waiting to find out where they are going and what is happening next. I realized that even though I felt like an outsider, I am not really any different than people experiencing homelessness. Though I may be blessed with what I have, I, too, am sitting here waiting: waiting to figure out what I am going to do with my life, waiting to figure out what comes next.

I was really surprised by the overall experience. I went in feeling apprehensive. However, when I realized that we are all people and that we have things in common, I relaxed, and I really enjoyed talking to and helping the guests of Hesed House. I think that this experience will be very beneficial for my future. Through the clinic, I am going to be working with the guests of Hesed House so the fact that I now feel comfortable around them will be beneficial. This will make me a more effective advocate. I think that this will also help my future career. No matter what I do, I am going to work with people that I may not feel comfortable around or who are different than I am. Now that I have made the realization that I just need to find something in common in order to feel comfortable with someone, I will have a better chance of being able to feel comfortable around any type of person, no matter how much I think we are different.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did I Come to Law School Again?

I came straight to law school from undergrad. Although I’ve had part time jobs, I’ve spent most of my life in school. I was drawn to law school because in comparison to the other graduate programs I was considering, law appeared to me to be a profession of “doers.” By this I mean, a profession that does more than participate in academic research and writing; a profession that actively interacts with people from all walks of life and has the skills necessary to bring about real change in communities. I do not mean to downplay academic scholarship, which is essential to meaningful debate, particularly in the legal field, and is often a catalyst to change. But to me, as someone who has spent most of her life in a class room and spent a lot of time writing and researching, I wanted to do more—interact with people, find out what people need and want, and help bring those needs and wants to fruition. Over the last two years in law school, I did not exactly find what I came looking for. In f

In the Beginning there was . . . Pleasant Terror

I left the first meeting of our little group excited, inspired, and pleasantly terrified. A long-time resident and self-proclaimed advocate of Aurora, I am ashamed that this was my first visit to Hesed House. I had read about it, thought about it, and heard its praises sung countless times, but all of my ‘good’ excuses kept me from lending a hand or ever checking it out for myself. I wish I had, because I would have known sooner that Hesed House far exceeds its glowing reputation. As Mr. Dowd showed us around Hesed House and its Community Resource Center, I became more and more excited to be associated with this shelter. I was impressed by its leaders’ tireless efforts to serve the homeless population by pooling the efforts of multiple organizations, faiths, and disciplines. They do not limit themselves to supplying shelter and food, but helped to establish homeless children’s rights to attend school and set their guests up for success by providing access to job training, counseling, a

The Shelter

I was nervous, but it is a nervous feeling that I have felt before. A feeling of excitement because I am about to embark upon another journey with the purpose to create change. Although I have had a lot of interaction with people in poverty, every new interaction is a learning experience. I was impressed by how vast the Hesed House facilities were; it was the biggest homeless shelter I have seen. It pushed me toward both a feeling of gratitude and sorrow. I felt grateful that facilities like Hesed House exist so that people in poverty have the ability to have a roof over their head and access to food. On the other hand, I felt sorrow because it breaks my heart that poverty has such a strong hold on so many individuals in our society. It is an uneasy feeling for me that Hesed House is the only shelter in Aurora when there is an overwhelming need in the area. However, I am glad that it can accommodate as many people as it can and that it touches the lives of so many in more ways than jus